Monday, April 11, 2011

"Thank you, please NEVER come again!"

During the summer time in the Northeast heat isn't the 'killer' for runners, humidity is.  It seems like 30 seconds into any run one is drenched with sweat!  I makes it very difficult for one to stay hydrated!  In order to balance out the humidity and heat I do most of my running after 10PM and it usually does the trick and I never get too over heated on de-hydrated.

I went out for a midnight run last summer on what seemed to be the hottest day EVER!  I might as well have been running at high noon with the sun beating down on me.  At least I'de be getting some sun!  I'm not usually 'that guy' who runs without a shirt but this night I didn't want to deal with a sweat drenched shirt so I went without. I do have to admit I felt a bit 'douchie' running around with no shirt, small little running shorts, headlamp, and a reflective vest.  the reflective vest that I use isn't the normal mesh material that fits loosely.  Its better described as reflective straps...thick bands of elastic reflective straps that criss-cross your back and chest and buckles in the middle (kinda like He-man's 'get up').  I looked like a cross between he-man and Richards Simmons!  Needless to say, I'm glad it was at night and no one could see who I was.

It was nearing one in the morning and I ran out of water three miles back...I was drenched from head to toe and was starting to feel de-hydrated and woozy.  I still had three or four miles to go before I was home and I needed to get some water in my mouth!  Where?  I passed a few bars and decided that I wasn't going to stop!  I didn't want to deal with them.  All the fast food restaurants were closed.  I was beginning to think about pulling the plug and send for back-up.  Considering the time of night I pulled through.  "Whats that in the distance?  I think I see a.  Wait, is that a?  Yes, a 7-11!!"

(Keep in mind my outfit)

I entered in the 7-11 dripping sweat all over the floor, my headlamp was shining at the cashiers face, I had red blinking lights all over, and my music was blaring and I couldn't hear a thing.  After I realized I scared the living day lights out of the cashier I quickly removed my headlamp, unplugged my ears from the blaring music.  The cashier had a look of shock on his face.  Not to stereo type but he fit the job description very well....turban, beard, couldn't smile, ETC.  I slurred to him 'ive been running for 10 miles and I've run out of water can I fill up my bottle?  I don't have any money"  He replied "uhhh, hurry, please!"  I thanked him and shuffled to the Coke Machine that had a cold water faucet.  I filled up one bottle and quickly chugged it down, and then and second, third...I had a large puddle around me by the time I had chugged three bottles of water.  He was staring at me the entire time with a stern look on his face.  He finally yelled "Enough!  You have to go!  Now I have to mop the floor!"

I quickly filled up and went on my way. 

As I ran home I couldn't help but smile about the whole situation.  "what was that guy thinking?"  "I'm glad he didn't have a shot gun!" 

A lesson learned to bring more water!

"Thank you, please NEVER come again"

1 comment:

  1. Funny man...good times.Only you could pull that off.

    ReplyDelete

How it all began

I have been working in the outdoor industry for the past several years and have a closet...make that a garage full of high end gear. Lifes obligations have made it difficult to get outside like I used to and use all the gear mentioned above. I wasnt mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, ETC like i was in the past...All my gear was just sitting there collecting dust! When the highly acclaimed VFF's hit the market I got a pair to add to said collection of gear. It came to a point that I was almost self concious about having so much un-attended gear. I feared that a serious runner would come to the store and ask about the shoes and I would have zero feeback for their 'sole' purpose... I didnt want to be that 'd-bag' that had everything but didnt use it. After recently losing 30+ lbs I strapped them on and began going to the local high school track...one lap around the track lead to a full 26.2 miles (eventually) I am NOT that d-bag....now!