Monday, April 4, 2011

Ignorance is Bliss?

After returning to work after my 8 mile run and shared my recent running experience they were all shocked and overall concerned.  "Scott, you are running too much too soon"  "Scott, your feet aren't ready for 5 fingers" "Scott, your going to hurt yourself."

Each of them expressed valid concerns but I didn't care.  I was on a high and no one was going to bring me down from cloud 9!

I continued running in my VFF's but made a deal with my boss that I would start a marathon training program that involved a gradual increase of miles over an 18 week period of time.  At least this way I assuring them that I was thankful for their valid concerns and was willing to pull back a little and go slower...also, it was a way for me to get them off my back a little and stop busting my chops for my shoes!  My boss also said that if i stuck with the program that she would pay for all my registration fee's for the Philadelphia Marathon!  At the time I don't even think that I knew that a marathon was 26.2 miles!  I took the challenge and printed a calendar that told me how many miles I needed to run each day.  At the end of the 18 weeks I would have ran more than 750 miles total!

I didn't know anything about barefoot running at the time.  I had no idea what I was putting my foot through.  If pain was felt it was ignored, if my foot said stop I said go.  I being stubborn...nothing was going to stop me from running my VFF's!    Suddenly it wasn't so blissful when I ran...my mind wasn't able to wonder freely when I was out.  Instead it was focused on the pains that weren't present just a few weeks earlier.  I pushed on.  Stubborn as a bulldog.  What was i trying to prove?  Did I think I was the first overweight guy to run long distances in VFF's...maybe? 

By the end of the week 15 (less than a month from race day) I was feeling an excruciating pain over the top of my right foot.  Stress fracture?  I went to the Doctors office for an x-ray.  Please, Lord, don't be broken was the prayer I had in my heart.  The Doctor came into the office with the lab results and informed me that my foot was not broken but I had to 'hang up my shoes' for atleast 2-3 weeks.  2-3 weeks!  Is this guy crazy?  Doesnt he know that I have an agenda here?  Doesnt he know that im an aspiring marathoner?  Doesnt he know im a barefoot runner?  Doesnt he know that barefoot runners are hardcore? 

I swallowed my pride and began nurturing my injury...resulting in a well rested healthy foot.

I also came to terms that I wasnt going to be running the Marathon with my VFF's and had to invest into an actual pair of running shoe.  This decision was very difficult for me...I ran just about 700 miles with my vibrams and at the last minute they decide to turn their back on me and hurt my foot!

I didn't have much time to find the 'right' pair of shoes and my 20 mile training run was in less than a week!  I went to the local running store and tried every pair on and ran around the store atleast twice each pair.  I finally found a pair of Nikes in their 'minimalist' category (Lunar lunarfly+).  I was able to have the cusion neccesary to protect my foot but the freedom of natural motion.

The 20 mile run was a success but my legs and feet werent quite used to the way 'real' shoes felt and I had a very hard time keeping my usual 9-9.5 minute pace because of the different muscles I used between the two types of shoes.  I knew that I had no other option and at this point i wasnt as prideful about the shoes I was wearing.  I was just going to have to make due and go slower.

Race day came and I left my VFF's at home amongst the rest of my gear.  I felt good with the amount of dedication and effort I had put into everything.

I felt even better after crossing the finish line after running 26.2 miles!  Especially in shoes that I still wasnt too familiar with.

What did I learn from all of this?  That I should have prepared my body properly for such a wonderful product.  I took a month off and let my body rest.

My desire to be a barefoot runner never went away.  But I wanted to do it the right way.  I bought a pair of 'nike free run+ (Nikes version of a barefoot shoes) to help me with my goal.  This shoe protection and support in the arch and provided the most freedom I had ever felt with a lace up shoe.

After one month of running 2-3 miles at a time my foot got strong was strong enough and I was able to throw the Nikes in the closet and re-commit to the barefoot movement!

I wish I could go back and time and transtion slower into the VFF's...It still kills me that I was able to do all of my training for the marathon in my VFF's but wasnt able to run the race in them. 

Ignorance is never bliss...Please learn from my mistake.  I hope this story inspires everyone to give it a shot but to do it the right way! invest the time and money in the right gear...it will pay off!

May your toes move freely and the rest of your body follow along!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How it all began

I have been working in the outdoor industry for the past several years and have a closet...make that a garage full of high end gear. Lifes obligations have made it difficult to get outside like I used to and use all the gear mentioned above. I wasnt mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, ETC like i was in the past...All my gear was just sitting there collecting dust! When the highly acclaimed VFF's hit the market I got a pair to add to said collection of gear. It came to a point that I was almost self concious about having so much un-attended gear. I feared that a serious runner would come to the store and ask about the shoes and I would have zero feeback for their 'sole' purpose... I didnt want to be that 'd-bag' that had everything but didnt use it. After recently losing 30+ lbs I strapped them on and began going to the local high school track...one lap around the track lead to a full 26.2 miles (eventually) I am NOT that d-bag....now!