Thursday, April 7, 2011

Caution: Moose crossing

During marathon training one day out of the week is dedicated to cross training.  Before I started running I spent as much time as I could on my mountain bike, so naturally biking would be my choice for my cross training work outs (when I did it).

I had been training for about two months and was really enjoying myself.  Everyday I had my routine and was very anal about planning out my runs and pushing myself to run EVERY mile that the training program said I was supposed to run.  I ran when I was supposed to run and rested when they wanted me to rest.  However, I was having a difficult time with my one day of cross-training.  I was having a hard time finding the energy at the end of the week to dedicate to something other than running.

It came to the point that I had enough of myself not giving 100% I felt like I was selling myself short.  After much self reflecting I decided to give the same dedication to my cross-training.

In order to have a successful training week I planned everything out so I could get a nice long bike ride for Sunday 'Cross-Training Day'.  I drove to work on Saturday and parked the car for the night so  I could run home (roughly 12 miles).  My plan was to go for a 20+ mile bike ride and pick my vehicle up when my ride was over.  Sunday arrived and I got my things together for my ride-sunglasses (check), bike jersey (check), riding shorts (check), bike shoes (check), bike pump/patch kit (check)  Helmet 'uh oh'...wheres my helmet?  DAMN!  I left it in my vehicle at work...'Ive never fell on my bike' or 'ok, I'll ride slowly to work to pick up my helmet and continue a long from there' was my thought process...everything will be fine, right?

Off to work I went....

I was very cautious while I was riding.  I double checked before I turned, stopped at every stop sign, and stopped at every red light...I even took an alternate route to avoid major roads.  I was getting closer to work and my speed started to pick up as I became a more familiar with the terrain and a little more confident with riding without my helmet. 

I was going full speed and needed to get to the other side of the road.  I looked over my left shoulder and saw a brand new blue MMercedes Benz E-class.  I remembered seeing the car sitting at a red light on the opposite side of the road before I turned onto the road I was currently riding on.  The Benz's light had just turned green and it began to accelerate...I thought I had enough room to safely cross the road...I thought wrong.  I quickly turned left only to be struck by said Mercedes Benz.

I flew about 6 feet in the air.  I cant describe how or what I felt as i was in the air.  I knew that I wasn't wearing a helmet and I feared the worst...'The two most important things to me are at home right now...I'm not ready to leave them" Is the first thing I thought.  I tried as best as I could not to fall on my head and fortunately succeeded!  I landed right on my hip...OUCH!  An older couple exited the vehicle and both had looks of devastation on their faces  "Oh my Gosh, are you okay?!".  Full of adrenaline I quickly shot  up and yelled 'I didn't hit my head, I'm okay, I didn't hit my head!'...I looked at their car and it looked like they had just struck a moose...shattered windshield, broken side view mirror, and dented passenger door!  After 3 or 4 minutes the adrenaline began to ware off and I began to feel excruciating pain and nausia...maybe I'm not okay...'I think i need to lay down before I throw up' is what I told the older couple.  I wobbled off the the side of the road and laid in the grass and an ambulance was summoned for.  I was able to foster enough energy into grabbing my cell phone and call Rachel at home.  "Hey, hows your ride going?"  is what she said when she picked up the phone "I got hit by a car and I'm waiting for the ambulance" "What, are you joking?" was  her response "No, I gotta go" and I hung up...obviously I wasn't thinking right!  It took about 2-3 minutes for me to realize that I should call Rachel again and explain to her that I was "OK" and that an ambulance was on its way.

I was picked up by the 'Morristown minutemen' and they took me to the hospital.  I was so afraid that I had fractured my hip and that my training was over.  Its all I could think about!  Was I going to be able to run?

I arrived at the ER and they took me right in for X-Rays.  The Doctor came in after the X-rays were taken and had me 'drop trow' so that he could asses any possible external damage "Well, you can definitely tell what cheek you landed on." is what he said  "oh great, a wise guy...doesn't he know what I'm going through?" It was a very quick look over and he left until the results were ready.  He returned with some great news!  "Well, it looks like you just have a bruised ass".  It was the best news I heard all day!

I took about a week off of work and running until I felt 100%.

I continued my cross training just not on a bike.  Hiking and trail  running is more up my alley.

I learned a valuable lesson that day.  Always wear a helmet!  And always tell someone where you will be riding or running and always wear your RoadID!! http://www.roadid.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

How it all began

I have been working in the outdoor industry for the past several years and have a closet...make that a garage full of high end gear. Lifes obligations have made it difficult to get outside like I used to and use all the gear mentioned above. I wasnt mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, ETC like i was in the past...All my gear was just sitting there collecting dust! When the highly acclaimed VFF's hit the market I got a pair to add to said collection of gear. It came to a point that I was almost self concious about having so much un-attended gear. I feared that a serious runner would come to the store and ask about the shoes and I would have zero feeback for their 'sole' purpose... I didnt want to be that 'd-bag' that had everything but didnt use it. After recently losing 30+ lbs I strapped them on and began going to the local high school track...one lap around the track lead to a full 26.2 miles (eventually) I am NOT that d-bag....now!